During our March 2020 Board meeting, the Board unanimously approved a resolution renaming the building formerly known as “Eugene Field” to become the “Theodora Smiley Lacey School”. For the 2020-2021 school year, the newly renovated Theodora Smiley Lacey School will house nine kindergarten classrooms, servicing most of our kinder population (approximately 180 students). An official naming ceremony will take place once the renovated school opens in September.
Renovation work continues to progress with completion scheduled for August in time for the new school year. Current project status (as of 5/22/20) includes:
• Installation of the new walls is complete on the Second Floor and painting has started.
• Installation of the tile on the walls & floors in the new toilet rooms has started on the Second Floor.
• Installation of the new walls on the First Floor is scheduled to be complete by the end of May. Tape & spackle has started.
• All of the rough electrical, plumbing, heating & refrigeration is complete.
• Masonry walls of the new elevator shaft will be complete by the end of May.
• The new elevator, HVAC units, casework, and windows are all in production and scheduled to arrive in June & July.
With regard to kindergarten registration for the 2020-2021 school year, we have extended the deadline due to the pandemic. Kindergarten placement will be at your child’s neighborhood school or at the new Theodora Smiley Lacey School (formerly known as Eugene Field - One Merrison Street). To register your child for kindergarten (new residents only), send an email to [email protected]
. For more information, visit REGISTRATION PAGE