November 9, 2020
Over the past few weeks, I have heard from many of you regarding how difficult it has been to manage through this pandemic. Everyone’s fears are running high, and the workload has frequently felt overwhelming.
I want to assure you that I take this feedback very seriously – especially when we still have a long road ahead of us. In an effort to better support the mental health of our students, staff and parents/guardians, I have made the decision to implement the following steps that should provide everyone with some much needed “down time” for the balance of the 2020-2021 school year:
- November 2020 – No Homework will be assigned for the Thanksgiving Holiday – Nov. 25 – 29, 2020
- December 2020 – No Homework will be assigned for the Winter Holiday Recess – Dec. 23, 2020 – January 3, 2021
- January 2021 – We will have a “Half Day” session on Friday, January 15 with no homework assigned from January 15 – January 18, 2021 (Closed Monday for MLK Holiday)
- February 2021 – Remaining “Snow day”* will be used on Friday, February 12, 2021 with no homework assigned from February 12 – February 15, 2021 (Closed Monday for Presidents’ Day)
- March 2021 – We will have a “Half Day” session on March 12, 2021 with no homework assigned for that weekend
- April 2021 – No Homework will be assigned for the entire Spring Break Recess – April 2 – April 11, 2021
*NOTE: There will be no “snow days” used this winter as we will continue in an online/virtual environment during inclement weather.
This is a very challenging time, and I recognize that many of our students and families will require additional support. Please know that our School Counseling Department will soon roll out other initiatives and programs for all grade levels, and I encourage you to take advantage of these services.
We are a strong and resilient community, and we will get through this health crisis together. Please continue to keep up the great work and most importantly, stay safe.
Dr. Christopher Irving, Superintendent of Schools