It is a tremendous honor to serve the Teaneck Community as a School Principal for the past 14 years and now for the newly renovated Theodora Smiley Lacey School.
In addition to being a former teacher in the district as well as a longtime resident of Teaneck, Mrs. Theodora Smiley Lacey is a Civil Rights pioneer. The building name was chosen by the residents of Teaneck and was unanimously voted on by the Teaneck Board of Education in March of 2020. The newly renovated Theodora Smiley Lacey School houses nine kindergarten classrooms, servicing most of the district's kindergarten population (approximately 180 students). You can read more about Mrs. Lacey by visiting Mrs. Theodora Smiley Lacey Page.
It is my sincere pleasure to work with our dedicated staff to help provide an excellent educational experience for our students. Our staff is committed to ensuring that your children receive the best support to learn and grow. We are excited to continue to build an ideal school environment where Kindergarten students feel safe, comfortable, challenged, and engaged in class (whether that is in person or online). Lacey is well on its way to being a premier kindergarten experience. Our teachers are highly successful in providing a high-quality learning experience focused on the individual needs of each child.
You are your child's first and best teacher in the following skill necessary for them to access academic teaching. These are also skills that will help them be successful throughout life:
- The value of wanting to learn what is being taught
- The self-discipline to practice it over and over again to learn it
- The guidance to always do their best work
- The attitude that if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again
- The belief that their education is a priority in their life
- Being organized and neat in their work
- Being a responsible student/citizen
We believe values and character are best taught by parents. The school’s role is to reinforce the values, character, and work ethic that children learn and develop at home. Research shows that the most important variable in a child's success in school is the parents’ involvement in their child's education. The following are some ways to be involved in your child's education:
- Talk with your child every day about what is going on at school.
- Discuss the completed work the child has brought home.
- Check homework/classwork after it is complete.
- Be available to assist with homework/classwork as necessary.
- Set high standards for the work that is performed.
- Guide the development of good study skills.
- Stay in touch with the classroom teacher.
- Communicate high expectations to your child.
- Communicate your confidence and pride to your child every day.
- Proudly display and share your child's work and progress with friends and relatives.
- Attend and participate in school activities as much as possible (once Covid-19 pandemic is over).
- Attend parent conferences online.
- Volunteer in one of our many programs or a classroom if your schedule allows (not available at this time).
- Keep in close contact with the teacher and communicate, communicate, communicate!
- Let us know how we can best meet the needs of your child.
Lacey School is indeed a very special place with a very special namesake. We encourage you to browse through our web page and learn more about our wonderful school. Better yet, we invite you to become a part of our unique educational community! Drop by and we will be delighted to show you around!
Leslie A. King